Every year, our Georgian Triangle Real Estate Board sponsors a popular seminar where they bring in the local planners to speak to REALTORS® about what is happening in our region. Anyone considering a real estate transaction should keep well informed so we thought it would be a good idea to share some of their points with you in this multi-part series.
GREY COUNTY – presented by Randy Scherzer
- 1. Doing 5 year review of the Offical Plan (OP), so they’re holding open houses, public meetings, etc. then it is reviewed by the planners
2. They held 2 Open Houses in November 2008 – will be making recommendations for changes or mapping changes, which will be completed in Jan-Feb/09 and then it will be off to the Province
3. Growth Management – they are not included in the Places to Grow so they had to come up with their own numbers so that they would comply with the Provincial Policy Statement – thus they hired a consultant to help.
4. Had to project up to 2031 allocations of population and employment growth
5. Projections range from permanent residents of over 95,000 in 2006 to over 115,000 in 2031 with 37,200 households in 2006 to a projected 50,500 in 2031
6. Proposed changes to Housing Policies – re PPS – want to include a wide variety of housing – ie. targets for each municipality which may include alternative housing, mix by type and tenure, and more affordable housing
7. Agricultural: minimum distance is established separating septic from existing livestock operations to provide a buffer between farm and non-farming
8. More restrictions and criteria concerning severances
9. Increasing size of commercial and industrial uses in agricultural areas from 250 to 750 sq.m.
10. Wineries will be permitted in certain cases
11. Removing rural plans of subdivision
1. They’re proposing to apply boundaries to reduce, remove some and expand some
2. There will be primary, secondary and tertiary settlement areas
3. NEW: recreational resort areas
4. Removing: urban fringe
MINERAL RESOURCE EXTRACTIONS
They’ve identified certain areas for this and there will be no new non-farm lot areas created there
NATURAL ENVIRONMENTAL POLICY
1. Introducing significant woodlands
2. Will also have “other” wetlands (not yet classified as provincially significant but significant nonetheless)
3. Mapping ANSI and KARST
SERVICING POLICIES (PPS)
1. They are proposing changes to clarify servicing hierarchy, that will apply up to 5 new lots; over 5 lots there must be a Settlement Cap Study done
2. Province doesn’t want any ‘partial’ services
PROTECTION OF DRINKING WATER
Not due until 2012 but they have policies in place in the interim to protect drinking water
Here’s a chart showing population projections in Grey County by municipality: (click image to enlarge)
Planning for Growth South Georgian Bay Part 1: Simcoe County
When it’s time to buy or sell real estate in the Collingwood, Blue Mountain or Georgian Triangle area, contact Marg, an experienced and competent Broker who’s ready whenever you are!
Marg Scheben-Edey is a Broker with RE/MAX four seasons realty limited, Brokerage in beautiful Collingwood, ON. With three decades of experience, Marg is a leader in the local real estate marketplace and is ready to help guide both Buyers and Sellers in achieving their real estate goals. Email Marg