Every year, our Georgian Triangle Real Estate Board sponsors a popular seminar where they bring in the local planners to speak to REALTORS® about what is happening in our region. Anyone considering a real estate transaction should keep well informed so we thought it would be a good idea to share some of their points with you in this multi-part series. Thanks Chris for keeping such good notes!
COUNTY OF SIMCOE presented by Kathy Suggitt
- 1. In 2008 they’ve been working on the Simcoe Area Growth Plan and a Master Transportation Study
- 2. OP was adopted by County Council – now the province has 6 months to review and approve it; the OP was a conformity exercise with the Provincial Policy Statement, Planning Legislation of the Province, Growth Plan, Greenbelt Plan, the Planning Act and the Places to Grow, but with a ‘made in Simcoe County’ spin on it
- 3. Upper Tier Municipalities must be more invested in growth management
- 4. They have to take into account all settlement areas, which could be something as small as a 4-corners hamlet to a fully serviced town like Collingwood
- 5. They have to do ‘land budget’ which looks at all the lands available for development in settlement areas
- 6. Have to consider things like small scale communal septic systems – MOE is still not sure on these – because Simcoe County doesn’t have control over the pipes in these instances
- 7. Places to Grow encourages density and intensification, but in Simcoe County, we have such a wide variety of sizes of areas, we need to have a unique plan
- 8. In places like Wasaga and Collingwood, there is an expectation of higher densities
- 9. Development activity was very strong in 2008
- 10. They underwent upgrades to the Natural Heritage Plan
Work in Progress for 2009:
- 1. Working with province on revision to their OP
- 2. Working with 16 municipalities on the Places to Grow as they need to be in conformity by June of 2009 (although this could be extended)
- 3. Completion of Land Budget
- 4. Development applications and reviews
- 5. Looking ahead: 2011 Census and 5 year review of their growth plan; long term transportation and infrastructure plans and investigations
- 6. Will be hiring an Economic Development Officer in 2009
Collingwood Mayor Chris Carrier has expressed a number of concerns about the plan and voted against it.
You may find this chart of Simcoe County municipalities population projections interesting: (Click to enlarge)
When it’s time to buy or sell real estate in the Collingwood, Blue Mountain or Georgian Triangle area, contact Marg, an experienced and competent Broker who’s ready whenever you are!
Marg Scheben-Edey is a Broker with RE/MAX four seasons realty limited, Brokerage in beautiful Collingwood, ON. With three decades of experience, Marg is a leader in the local real estate marketplace and is ready to help guide both Buyers and Sellers in achieving their real estate goals. Email Marg