The Planners Sessions 2019
A great and informative event for our real estate community each year, is the annual Planner’s Seminars for Collingwood, The Blue Mountains, Clearview, Wasaga Beach and Meaford. The planner from Grey Highlands was unable to make it today.
This year, there seemed to be a common theme, and that was customer service. Each municipality touched on their efforts to improve their service to their clients (that’s you and me!) Websites have been enhanced or in the process of being enhanced so that the consumer of planning information for their respective municipality is more readily available to the viewing public.
Each planner also undertook to be available in a reasonable amount of time to answer questions, however, most would prefer that more official requests be made (and a fee paid) for more complex enquiries.
This series will be in five parts – one part for each municipality: Meaford, Wasaga Beach, Clearview, The Blue Mountains and Collingwood. This week, we will discover The Blue Mountains. The Blue Mountains’ website can be viewed here.
The Blue Mountains
Presented by: Nathan Westenberg, Director of Planning & Development Services
Nathan presented an overview of the developments in the Blue Mountains. Keep updated with development activity by clicking here.
Developments Under Construction
- Village at Peaks Bay
- The Private Residences at Georgian Bay Club
- Thornbury Meadows
- Lora Bay
- Artisan at Lora Bay
- Bayside (near Camperdown)
- Mountain House and Windfall
- The Towns of Thornbury
- Thornbury Cidery now serves beer. It is beer that is bottled in Thornbury, but the owners of the cidery want to bring the production to Thornbury too. The cider is currently made in Thornbury as well.
- Parkbridge – has gone to LPAT
- MacPherson Builders, Craigleith
- Aquavil – former Easter Seals Camp: Royalton Homes have bought it; they are currently working on a Zoning Bylaw Amendment and Site Plan
- Blue Mountain Village – Site F – Skyline building 31 TownHomes
- Blue Vista – North of Mountain House – Royalton Homes
- Cedar Run – wakeboard park?
- Proposals for 3200 development units in 2017, 3800 in 2018, 3700 in 2019 – closer to 6000 with shovels actually in the ground; 25% Thornbury/Lora Bay area, and 75% Blue Mountain/Craigleith- see above map
- Council has approved a Transportation Masterplan to deal with growth and traffic
- Zoning Bylaw has finally been updated in 2018 – and it is available in different formats, searchable and on the website
- Grey County GIS – will have the planning layer working on their GIS system soon
- Highway 26 and Mill Bridge – update is coming for widening
- Updated tree bylaw
- Future secondary plan: it’s a 2020/2021 Project – Additional Development Lands:
- Look at the new Zoning Bylaw as pertains to STAs.
Review the Short Term Accommodation Bylaw information here.
- The rules aren’t changing, they are providing CLARITY and consistency with CRUs and STAs
- New: maximum occupancy load is 8 people
- 120 M to another STA
- Must be permitted in the zoning
- B&Bs are included in STA (+motels and hotels)
- B&Bs – permitted subject to a site-specific zoning bylaw amendment
- Currently, there is a moratorium for 18 months approved by the council as there was such a large uptick in the number of B&B. Council passed a resolution not considering new approvals. They aren’t licenced nor permitted as a right
- The town initiated Attainable Housing Study – and it has been made a priority
- Town Council bought the Foodland property
- 2nd units are permitted in Urban and Rural zoning
- 2nd unit grants are available – check out the information on their website
- Push for attainably priced units in new Development Projects.
- Learn about Attainable Housing in the Blue Mountains here.
Medical Marijuana is permitted in certain areas, subject to site zoning. There can be no dwelling on the parcel of land
Marg Scheben-Edey is a Broker with RE/MAX four seasons realty limited, Brokerage in beautiful Collingwood, ON. With three decades of experience, Marg is a leader in the local real estate marketplace and is ready to help guide both Buyers and Sellers in achieving their real estate goals. Email Marg