The Planners Series 2019
A great and informative event for our real estate community each year is the annual Planner’s Seminars for Collingwood, The Blue Mountains, Clearview, Wasaga Beach and Meaford. Unfortunately, the planner from Grey Highlands was unable to make it to this event with the local REALTORS®.
This year, there seemed to be a common theme, and that was customer service. Each municipality touched on their efforts to improve their service to their clients (that’s you and me!) Websites have been enhanced or in the process of being enhanced so that the consumer of planning information for their respective municipality is more readily available to the viewing public.
Each planner also undertook to be available in a reasonable amount of time to answer questions, however, most would prefer that more official requests be made (and a fee paid) for more complex enquiries.
This series will be in five parts – one part for each municipality: Meaford, Wasaga Beach, Clearview, The Blue Mountains and Collingwood. The first in our series is the Municipality of Meaford.
Municipality of Meaford
Presenter: Rob Armstrong, CAO and Director of Development and Environmental Services
Rob Armstrong highlighted some projects currently underway or being contemplated in Meaford.
- The new school is underway and will be completed in Sept. 2021, housing JK to Grade 12 students
- The new library is underway and will be completed Summer 2020
- The Sykes Street bridgework is (finally!) complete!
- Trowbridge Street Bridge to have work done in 2020
- Economic Development Strategic Plan is expected to be completed in 2020 – and you can have your say by taking a survey on the Municipality of Meaford’s website
- Erosion control due to the high waves has become an ongoing hot topic
- Memorial Park’s Master Plan is an ongoing project – expected to be completed in 2020
- Development Charge update is due in July 2020
- Official Plan will have revisions in 2020
- They’re working on a growth management strategy
- They’re looking into attainable housing options
- The Zoning By-Law layer on the GIS mapping will be back in December 2019 (has been down most of the year for improvements)
- Community Improvement Plan – there are grants and loans (and help!) available to help local businesses. Grant amounts have been increased to $70,000 in 2020. The updated Community Improvement Plan (CIP) is to include funding for attainable housing projects
STA – Short Term Accommodation: “Cottage Rentals” ie. Air BnBs are allowable under certain circumstances, in Residential Zones. They are allowed in main buildings, but not in detached buildings; they are only allowed for up to 3 bedrooms. Licences are currently not a requirement. Council has resolved to review this in future.
Cannabis Production (not personal) – can be allowed in Agricultural, Special Agricultural and Rural zones
Attainable Housing – Kennedy Project being considered – 200+ units, Hwy 26, so far servicing is okay, and the MOE is being positive; 250 townhouses, and some single families, with more moderate sale prices.
TC Energy Pumped Storage: “TC Energy is proposing to develop an energy storage facility that would provide 1,000 megawatts of flexible, clean energy to Ontario’s electricity system using a process known as pumped storage.” The Department of National Defense’s Base Lands in Meaford are involved, and because of it being DND lands, the Municipality doesn’t have authority over the lands. The power is going all the way to Essa. This is a very complicated project, and TC Energy has a 1-year window of access to the lands for a feasibility study. Comments will be received until 3/31/20. Rob stated this is a very complicated project. Curious? Read more about this here.
Rob touched on some of the many new developments, in various stages of statuses (ie. pre-consultation, approved, shovels in-ground, etc.) in the Municipality of Meaford. For updated information on the ongoing developments in Meaford, please click here.
- 43 Helen St. – Georgian Bay Fauxmagerie – an amazing success story for local business making non-dairy cheese – the only one of it’s kind in the world! They are building a production facility in Meaford on Helen Street.
- 46 Trowbridge – commercial building with apartments above; site plan approved
- Esso Gas Station on 26/Sykes now complete
- New development coming on the next property to the Esso Gas Station (formerly Sizzlin’ restaurant) with commercial and residential apartment component, pre-consultation stage
- Behind the McDonalds Furniture – Industrial Park “MacLads”; 2 lots severed
- Chatsworth Cidery and Education Centre– small event venue Holland/Sydenham Townline
- 6-suite boutique hotel on Boucher St. West; Zoning By-law Amendment (ZBLA) Approved
- Brewery on the former Almond property
- Winery & Restaurant – Meaford/TBM Townline – Official Plan Amendment (OPA), ZBLA in process
- Farm Winery – LynBran Orchards; pre-consultation
- Meaford Golf: 40 life-lease – semi-detached and link homes, 12 units under construction;
- Zoning Bylaw Amendment outstanding on Meaford Golf 31 Units Vacant Land Condos (VLCC)
- Parkbridge – Christie Beach – 1200 units, planning applications are done – waiting on access information along Hwy 26
- Meaford Haven 400 units and commercial; Draft approved – currently listed For Sale
- Meaford Community School – will be a long-term care facility with 70+ beds, nursing, retirement home and townhomes; “Campus of Care”
- Legion Site has had some interest lately for residential building
- Knights of Meaford – waterfront – 5-floor building; pre-consultation
- Pinehurst Development – Barry’s Construction, condos, VLCC – 27 lots
- Collingwood Street (which has 1890’s servicing!) – 70-unit condo building – recent interest
- Building Permit dollar value way up Year-To-Date 2019 at $66.665MM versus $39.435 in 2018 – check out the stats below:
Finally, Rob mentioned the new website for the Municipality and it is really an improvement! Check it out by clicking here.
Marg Scheben-Edey is a Broker with RE/MAX four seasons realty limited, Brokerage in beautiful Collingwood, ON. With three decades of experience, Marg is a leader in the local real estate marketplace and is ready to help guide both Buyers and Sellers in achieving their real estate goals. Email Marg