Whether you are selling or buying, you might find the results of a study useful when assessing your own needs and more importantly, resale values. Completed by Avid Ratings for the Canadian Home Builders Association, the Canadian Home Buyers Preference Study is a wealth of information. While it says most buyers still prefer a two-storey home, I’m sure there are regional differences based on demographics. Having said that, I suspect the general list of “I Wants” is pretty universal.
The most requested features are:
- Ample storage with things like walk-in closets, walk-in pantries and linen closets topping the list
- Energy Efficiency including energy efficient windows, appliances and heating/cooling, ENERGY STAR designations and now, LED and solar generation are climbing the list
- Kitchens that are open to adjacent living and dining areas with islands. There is now a clear preference for quartz versus granite for countertops.
- 2 car garages
- Large windows and lots of light
In my own experience selling homes, I have to agree with all of the above and would add a couple of my own:
- Master Ensuite bath with two sinks, separate and large showers
- Modern updates especially to kitchens and bathrooms. Many people don’t want to undertake major renovations
What’s on your top 10 list?
Marg Scheben-Edey is a Broker with RE/MAX four seasons realty limited, Brokerage in beautiful Collingwood, ON. With three decades of experience, Marg is a leader in the local real estate marketplace and is ready to help guide both Buyers and Sellers in achieving their real estate goals. Email Marg